And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
- Anais Nin




Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Holy Coolest-Thing-I've-Ever-Done, Batman!

I BUNGEE-JUMPED OFF OF VICTORIA FALLS TODAY!

Which, at 111 meters (or roughly 364 feet), is not only one of the highest bungee jumps in the world, but also one of the world's Seven Natural Wonders.

:-)

(yeah, they really don't make a smiley-face emoticon big enough for this one...)


Here's the bridge (from this angle, the falls are just to the left and behind. You can see the spray...)


I'm so excited!!


Here's me getting strapped in...



Here's me going "I can't believe I'm actually frigging doing this!!"



Here's me having a moment, just me and God.




5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1...





If you had to choose one superpower...


...what would it be?



My post-jump victory jog-leap-dance. :-)




I FRIGGING LOVE AFRICA!!!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are too cool! and adorable with those bangs, which i hadn't seen before you split! how fantastic--and to have the entire jump documented in pics. rockin awesome, lady!

Gregg said...

regarding your appetite for adventure....

"yours is all as hungry as the sea and can digest as much"
-Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

has it occurred to you, as it has me, how well that series of photographs capsulates what you went through to get to Africa?...funny, huh?

Enjoy. Life.

Anonymous said...

Katie, dear,
You sure know how to give your old Auntie heart palpitations. Can't say if they are from fear of what you did or from the joy of seeing you look so happy!
Tu vate, puella!!
xoxoxo
Auntie Ro

patty said...

Fenomenal!!!! The bathroom at the Phoenix will now look llike the Taj Mahal. I am so proud of you (?),

Anonymous said...

You are the most amazing woman I know! Wait till your father gets home to see this! I am so stinking excited for you, my sweet, "safe," daughter! Yipee!

Lisa said...

Dear Katie,

I received your bungee message last night, but didn't read anything at that point... and then I woke up this morning thinking "I would literally have a heart attack if I tried to bungee jump off that bridge." And then I proceeded to worry about work for an hour or so, before falling back to sleep, uneasily. Today, I've been doing some work from home, and I just took my first real break of the day to read through your posts and look at your pictures.

I should probably just e-mail you instead of blabbing in your blog, but I want my words to be among those of your other friends and your family... I feel like that gives me an added kinship with the others who love you.

In the face of your journey, my day-to-day work - and the fact that I wake up worrying about it - seems so crazy. Thanks for the perspective today, which I gained through none other than your writing.

Despite what you say about your writing and your ability or inability to express yourself, while I understand the feeling entirely as a writer, as a reader I have to tell you that your writing is terrific. I am at once in awe of what you're doing (and how you're writing about it), afraid of what you're doing (and how you're writing about it), and a hundred percent jealous of what you're doing (and how you're writing about it). :0)

That, and you look adorable with bangs.

Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

WOW Katie!! What an exciting event and you look SO alive with excitement. I did something only vaguely similar once and it was the most exhilarating thing that I have ever done. I can only imagine what your experience must have been like. Stay safe and keep up the good work.
-Branden